What to Know
- An experienced, English-speaking Peregrine leader and specialist local guides at some sites
- Arrival transfer
- Authentic Accommodation includes: 7 nights in comfortable Hotels, 1 night camping
- Meals: 8 Breakfasts, 3 Lunches, 5 Dinners
- Gratuities included for the essential services only that you will receive as part of your tour package. Please see our Tipping section of these trip notes for more information.
- Sightseeing and entrance fees as per the itinerary
- Visa support
- International flights
- Airport departure taxes
- Departure transfer
- Visa & permit costs
- Meals unless specified in the itinerary
- Optional tours or activities during free time
Incidents of mugging, theft and pick pocketing are rare, but take sensible precautions and keep valuables out of sight. Women should avoid going out alone late at night.
Certain areas of the country, particularly border areas, are designated restricted zones and require special permission to enter. The borders with Afghanistan and Iran are particularly sensitive. Ashgabat, the Caspian port of Turkmenbashi, and the ancient Silk Road city of Merv/Mary are not in restricted areas. Check with your local tour guide before travelling outside the capital.
Driving standards are poor. Road travel at night outside cities is particularly dangerous because of the condition of the roads.
Seat belts, if fitted, should be worn at all times.
Licensed taxis are clearly identified and yellow in colour. Although taxis have meters, drivers will usually ask foreign nationals for a set fee of around 5 to 10 Manat. Taxis from the airport cost more and drivers usually ask for US$. Most taxi drivers do not speak much English. Don’t use unlicensed taxis.