What to Know
- An experienced, English-speaking local Peregrine leader and specialist local guides and cooks at some sites
- Authentic Accommodation includes: 3 nights comfortable hotel, 5 nights ger tent (4-share), 5 nights camping
- Meals: 13 breakfasts, 10 lunches, 10 dinners
- Arrival transfer
- Domestic flights Ulaanbaatar - Olgii/Hovd - Ulaanbaatar
- Entrance to Tsambagarav Uul & Khustai National Parks
- Camping equipment including sleeping mats (not sleeping bags)
- International flights
- Airport departure taxes
- Meals unless specified in the itinerary
- Tips - this is something to consider, and it might be worthwhile speaking to your group about making a group contribution at the end of the trip
- Laundry - may be available at locations where we stay two or more nights
- Optional tours or activities during free time
- Items of a personal nature
- Three-season sleeping bag for the trek nights
Mongolia is relatively safe, but muggings and attacks do occur. Petty crime is common in Ulaanbaatar, particularly in markets or other crowded public places. Watch out for pickpockets. Be wary of large groups of street children and teenagers, who sometimes harass pedestrians for money when entering and leaving vehicles, pubs and restaurants. Keep passports, money and other valuables in a safe place. Report any theft to the Pick-pocketing Department of the Police: telephone +976-93022480; the police can provide a letter for insurance purposes.
Mongolia experiences extremes of weather, from +35C in summer to -40C in winter. Even in summer, evenings can be cold because of the altitude and weather conditions can change without warning. There are long distances between settlements. Take appropriate provisions, including warm clothing, food and water if you are travelling outside main urban areas.
In recent years there have been occasional instances of civil and political unrest resulting in demonstrations and in some cases violence. On 16 September 2013 there was a political demonstration in central Ulaanbaatar during which several rifle shots were discharged. No injuries were reported. You should avoid large gatherings and demonstrations.