For all its Euro influence, Central America is no Western world. With Mayan ruins, Afro beats, and thriving indigenous cultures, this place is as foreign as can be.
The grand cathedrals were built by conquistadors, and the now the locals speak nothing but Spanish – but there’s something far-from-Europe about this place. It may be the tropical air or Caribbean sun that makes this place so different from the old world – like the smooth sand and stunning reefs of Belize. Or it may be the natural purity of the forest, in places like Costa Rica and Panama, where the people are happier than most places on earth. Or could it be the African beats of Cuba or the indigenous markets of Guatemala, forever weaving the exotic through this land.
Why we love Central America
- From the cloud forests of Costa Rica to Nicaragua’s giant volcanoes, Latin America does nature on a truly grand scale
- When it comes to vibrant colour, energy and food, nowhere delivers quite like Mexico. Bargain with descendants of the Zapotec and Mixtec peoples over hand-woven blankets in Oaxaca’s buzzy markets. You may even feel brave enough to try a crunchy chili and lime grasshopper!
- The Mayans were known for their advanced systems in architecture, mathematics, astronomy and hieroglyphics. From the temple ruins of Chichen Itza to the once-mighty capital of Tikal, our experts will lead you on a guided journey through Central America’s ancient history
- Let the dreamy Caribbean carry you away in the island archipelago of the Belize Cayes. With sleepy towns, sun-drenched beaches and some of the region’s best diving and snorkelling, what’s not to love?
- While Cuba may be a time warp of 1950s American cars and fading colonial splendour, the locals dance to the beat of the moment (and the rhythm of a rumba). From Havana and Trinidad to Vinales in the heart of Cuba’s tobacco-growing region, discover the landscapes and history of an island nation that defies categorisation
Destinations in Central America
What our travellers are saying about the region
Mexico In Depth, April 2017
This trip had opened my eyes with regards to Mexico. It is a busy, prosperous country. The Mayan and Aztec ruins are magnificent and deserve similar attention to the pyramids in Egypt. The old world charm of Cuba was amazing from the classic cars to the numerous horse and carts used in the country areas. Highly recommended.
Review submitted 07 Jun 2017
Essential Cuba - Independent Journey, May 2017
Adele & Mark Wotzke
I was unable to go back and review my comments on this survey without losing what I had already written.I do hope you can remedy this for future users.
Review submitted 28 May 2017
Cuba Highlights, April 2017
This tour is a great opportunity to see Cuba from top to bottom with a group of like minded travellers. To learn about the country, the people, their customs and their amazing history. Now is the time to see the real Cuba before too much tourism takes over. Don't expect cordon bleu cooking or regular wifi availability, but open your mind and your heart to the Cuban people and you will thoroughly enjoy the experience.
Review submitted 23 May 2017
Cuba Highlights, April 2017
Gillian & James Read
Peregrine run excellent trips always value for money, will go with them again.
Review submitted 20 May 2017