From the Andes to the Amazon, South America dances to the beat of its own drum
Packed full of highlights, this journey showcases the diversity of wonders across the Andes and Amazon. At Cusco, in the Peruvian Andes, be immersed in the ancient culture of the Incas, visit the Sacred Valley and revel in the magnificent citadel ruins of Machu Picchu. At Lake Titicaca, visit the floating Uros Islands before continuing to the lofty heights of La Paz. The Chilean capital of Santiago is home to some of Chile's most famous wineries and the lively neighbourhoods and late nights of Buenos Aires. At the border with Brazil, experience the magnificent might of Iguazu Falls, before finally arriving in one of the most beautiful cities in the world, Rio de Janeiro.
Please note the international flight from La Paz to Santiago on day 16 of this itinerary is not included in the tour price. Please contact us or your travel agent for flight details and costs.
Optional Hike Add-on:
On this trip you can opt to hike the 1-day Inca Trail. More information on this trek can be found in the itinerary section your trip notes. Please contact us if you are interested in this option.
20% OFF the world*
We’re taking 20% OFF* most of our incredible holidays. Book before 31 August and start the holiday countdown.Terms & Conditions
- Physical rating
- Traveller’s rating
- 1 review
- Min 15
- Group size
- Min 1, Max 16
Why we love this trip
Canoe across the mystical waters of Lake Titicaca to search for wildlife on Suasi Island. Hike to the highest point and enjoy a memorable sunset picnic in this unique location
Wind through country lanes and refine the palate in Argentina’s malbec-producing wine region, enjoying a traditional Argentinian lunch in Mendoza
Look for rainbows in the mist of the mighty Iguazu Falls from both the Brazilian and Argentinian sides, and visit a local indigenous community
Enjoy two included visits to Machu Picchu! One guided tour of the ruins and the second visit with free time to explore on your own
Join a specialist historian guide on one of you included visits to an archaeological site around Cuzco who will provide interesting insight and knowledge about Peru's history and culture
Venture deep into the Amazon Jungle with your local, multilingual guides and encounter magnificent fauna, flora and wildlife in their natural habitat
Is this trip right for you?
This trip visits places that are at high altitude, and as a result some people can suffer from altitude sickness, regardless of age or physical health. Please see the ‘Health’ section of the trip notes for more important information on this.
The Amazon Jungle can be very hot and humid, so it's important to drink plenty of water and wear light cotton clothing. Make sure you also bring tropical-strength insect repellant.
While accommodation in the Amazon is clean, comfortable and ideally located, it's pretty basic compared with other accommodation throughout the trip. Please remember that this is a very remote part of the world. As there's no electricity at night, the rooms are lit with candles and kerosene lamps.
This itinerary is valid for departures from 01 January 2018 to 31 December 2018. View the itinerary for departures between 01 January 2017 - 31 December 2017
Meals30 breakfasts, 9 lunches, 6 dinners
TransportBoat, Bus, Plane, Private vehicle, Train
AccommodationEstancia (2 nights), Hotel (24 nights), Jungle Lodge (2 nights), Lodge (2 nights)
- Lima - Guided tour of San Francisco Monastery including The Catacombs
- Complimentary airport arrival transfer
- Lima - Guided tour Down town, Cathedral of Lima and The Catacombs
- Lima - Alameda de Chabuca Granda - Street food tasting
- Cuzco - Orientation Walk
- Cuzco - Coricancha Temple entrance fee
- Cuzco - Cathedral tour with Specialist Historian Guide
- Cuzco - Cathedral Entrance Fee
- Cuzco - Full Boleto Turistico Pass, which gives you access to 16 archaeological sites in/around Cuzco (Transport & guides are not included)
- Sacred Valley - Local community visit and lunch
- Machu Picchu - Entrance and Guided Tour
- Suasi Island - Spectacular Sunset over Lake Titicaca, Picnic & Drinks
- Suasi Island - Cultural Museum Visit
- La Paz - Tiawanaku archaeological site and museum tour
- Santiago - Half-day guided walking tour
- Santiago - Cerro San Cristobal Funicular
- Casablanca region - Tour of an organic & biodynamic vineyard including wine tasting
- Valparaiso - Guided City tour including visit to Lukas Museum
- Valparaiso - Pisco Sour workshop & Sunset
- Mendoza - Full-day winery tour - Includes lunch
- Mendoza - Closed-door restaurant lunch
- 2-night stay at a traditional estancia
- Estancia - Polo workshop
- Estancia - Empanada Making Workshop
- Buenos Aires - Orientation walk
- Buenos Aires - Full-day guided tour
- Buenos Aires - Tango demonstration by professional dancers
- Buenos Aires - Tango dance lesson
- Iguazu Falls - Entrance and tour of the Brazilian side of the falls
- Iguazu Falls - Entrance and tour of the Argentinian side of the falls
- Iguazu - Guarani community visit
- Rio de Janeiro - Guided tour including Santa Teresa and Selaron Steps
- Rio de Janeiro - Christ the Redeemer entrance
- Rio de Janeiro - Santa Marta Favela tour
Our Rhythms of South America trips score an average of 5 out of 5 based on 1 review in the last year.
FLIGHT NOT INCLUDED
Flight from La Paz to Santiago on day 16 is not included in the tour cost and must be by client or agent.
Please consider booking international flights with Lan so you can book this flight on an airpass. Contact us for more information.
**Airport transfers are included for these flights, however we must have flight information, no later than 15 days out from departure**
A Single Supplement to have your own room is available on this trip however excludes nights 2 & 3 (Amazon Jungle) and nights 22 & 23 (Estancia stay) where you will be in shared accommodation.
This trip is a combination of three of our most popular departures. As such the make up of your group and your tour leader may change on days 17 & 25
This trip includes a domestic flight. Argentina is particularly strict on excess baggage and usually enforces a maximum allowance of 15Kg for check in luggage.
Your tour itinerary includes taking the train to Machu Picchu however on this trip you can opt to hike:
- The 1-day Inca Trail (day 7 of this itinerary) - Additional surcharge required.
Important: This option is subject to permit availability. Please contact your booking agent if you would like to book this option (the default itinerary does not include hiking, so you must specifically request this)
More information on this trek can be found in the itinerary section your trip notes.
SEASONAL WEATHER CONDITIONS:
During the colder months, usually between May and August, the border crossing between Chile and Argentina may be closed due to snowfalls. In that event, your emergency fund may be needed to purchase a flight between Santiago and Mendoza.
BOLIVIAN VISA FOR U.S CITIZENS
Nationals from the United States need a visa to enter Bolivia and you we highly recommend you obtain this visa in advance from your nearest Bolivian consulate or Embassy. Not obtaining the visa in advance is likely to cause long delays at the border.
Please see the visa information on these trip notes for more information.
If you are entering Chile at Santiago International Airport as a tourist, some nationalities are required to pay a reciprocity fee (Australians US$117). The fee does not apply to travellers arriving at other airports or entering the country via land borders.
The Argentine government charges a reciprocity tax which applies to Canadian and Australian citizens. The fee must be paid online prior to travel and a receipt for this payment must be produced at every border crossing into Argentina.
Please note you may require a Brazilian Visa for this trip. Processing can take around 2-5 weeks at the discretion of the embassy or consulate. Please speak with your travel agent well in advance for further advice.
PASSPORT DETAILS REQUIRED
Full passport details are required at the time of booking in order to purchase Entrance fees to important sites such as Machu Picchu. Delays to provide this information may result in booking fees or changes to your itinerary.