For all its Euro influence, Central America is no Western world. With Mayan ruins, Afro beats, and thriving indigenous cultures, this place is as foreign as can be.
The grand cathedrals were built by conquistadors, and the now the locals speak nothing but Spanish – but there’s something far-from-Europe about this place. It may be the tropical air or Caribbean sun that makes this place so different from the old world – like the smooth sand and stunning reefs of Belize. Or it may be the natural purity of the forest, in places like Costa Rica and Panama, where the people are happier than most places on earth. Or could it be the African beats of Cuba or the indigenous markets of Guatemala, forever weaving the exotic through this land.
Why we love Central America
- From the cloud forests of Costa Rica to Nicaragua’s giant volcanoes, Latin America does nature on a truly grand scale
- When it comes to vibrant colour, energy and food, nowhere delivers quite like Mexico. Bargain with descendants of the Zapotec and Mixtec peoples over hand-woven blankets in Oaxaca’s buzzy markets. You may even feel brave enough to try a crunchy chili and lime grasshopper!
- The Mayans were known for their advanced systems in architecture, mathematics, astronomy and hieroglyphics. From the temple ruins of Chichen Itza to the once-mighty capital of Tikal, our experts will lead you on a guided journey through Central America’s ancient history
- Let the dreamy Caribbean carry you away in the island archipelago of the Belize Cayes. With sleepy towns, sun-drenched beaches and some of the region’s best diving and snorkelling, what’s not to love?
- While Cuba may be a time warp of 1950s American cars and fading colonial splendour, the locals dance to the beat of the moment (and the rhythm of a rumba). From Havana and Trinidad to Vinales in the heart of Cuba’s tobacco-growing region, discover the landscapes and history of an island nation that defies categorisation
Destinations in Central America
What our travellers are saying about the region
Essential Cuba , February 2017
People are so warm and generous, so when a hand is offered, step into the moment and embrace it. Your life will be enriched. And 'if you see a pineapple, buy a pineapple'.
Review submitted 17 Feb 2017
Essential Cuba , February 2017
Great tour..felt we had experienced a bit of real Cuba.Home stays, albeit a little daunting initially, great. Nice size group...11. felt we were all getting personnel attention... as opposed to large coach tour when it feels you are herded along with others.Particularly lucky with guide and driver... nothing was too much trouble . I am sure if we had tried to do this independently we would only have achieved half a s much as we did on the tour.Very interesting to learn history of Island. .
Review submitted 16 Feb 2017
Essential Cuba , January 2017
Cuba is a shock to the senses at times. Havana is interesting, noisy and polluted from the old cars. The shops sell very little. Charming buildings,despite the decay everywhere. Staying in homestays was an authentic experience. Toilets en route may lack water and paper! Cash only everywhere. Phone network not always compatible, wifi variable.
Review submitted 15 Feb 2017
Mexico In Depth, November 2016
A fantastic trip made so much more memorable thanks to our wonderful guide Balam
Review submitted 12 Feb 2017