For all its Euro influence, Central America is no Western world. With Mayan ruins, Afro beats, and thriving indigenous cultures, this place is as foreign as can be.
The grand cathedrals were built by conquistadors, and the now the locals speak nothing but Spanish – but there’s something far-from-Europe about this place. It may be the tropical air or Caribbean sun that makes this place so different from the old world – like the smooth sand and stunning reefs of Belize. Or it may be the natural purity of the forest, in places like Costa Rica and Panama, where the people are happier than most places on earth. Or could it be the African beats of Cuba or the indigenous markets of Guatemala, forever weaving the exotic through this land.
Why we love Central America
- From the cloud forests of Costa Rica to Nicaragua’s giant volcanoes, Latin America does nature on a truly grand scale
- When it comes to vibrant colour, energy and food, nowhere delivers quite like Mexico. Bargain with descendants of the Zapotec and Mixtec peoples over hand-woven blankets in Oaxaca’s buzzy markets. You may even feel brave enough to try a crunchy chili and lime grasshopper!
- The Mayans were known for their advanced systems in architecture, mathematics, astronomy and hieroglyphics. From the temple ruins of Chichen Itza to the once-mighty capital of Tikal, our experts will lead you on a guided journey through Central America’s ancient history
- Let the dreamy Caribbean carry you away in the island archipelago of the Belize Cayes. With sleepy towns, sun-drenched beaches and some of the region’s best diving and snorkelling, what’s not to love?
- While Cuba may be a time warp of 1950s American cars and fading colonial splendour, the locals dance to the beat of the moment (and the rhythm of a rumba). From Havana and Trinidad to Vinales in the heart of Cuba’s tobacco-growing region, discover the landscapes and history of an island nation that defies categorisation
Destinations in Central America
What our travellers are saying about the region
Essential Cuba , February 2017
visiting Cuba on a group tour is a great way to see lots of interesting elements of the country.The Essential Cuba trip is excellent value for money.
Review submitted 23 Mar 2017
Mexico In Depth, March 2017
An extra day in Mexico City would be valuable, be prepared for a couple of long days bus travel.Bus was very comfortable and there were plenty of pit stops along the way.
Review submitted 21 Mar 2017
Cuba Highlights, March 2017
Immense history and culture, passionate people, great music - a country in transition. Toilet roll essential, some Spanish useful. Try casa accommodation to befriend the locals. Don't expect European standards. Take £ sterling and euros, ATMs don't take MasterCard. Food very good. Enjoy Cuba for what it is, it's lovely!
Review submitted 20 Mar 2017
Essential Cuba , February 2017
Can't recommend this trip enough! Cuba is a fascinating country and this trip provided a great insight. Really good mix of activities and locations. We had a wonderful local tour leader and driver who made the whole experience so much fun. Tips - take a rucksack, not a suitcase, learn some basic Spanish, be open minded and flexible, have some good walking shoes, lots of sunscreen and make the most of it!
Review submitted 18 Mar 2017