Experience the spectacular North of Iceland with its snow covered volcanoes, frozen lakes and waterfalls. Have a chance to relax in the geothermal hot springs and experience a super jeep adventure. As the sun's activity is high through 2014 and 2015, Lake Myvatn provides the perfect place to see the amazing northern lights.
Why we love it
- Northern Lights guided by an astronomy expert
- Extraordinary volcanic landscape around Lake Myvatn
- Bathe in the warm waters of the 'Nature Baths'
- Talks from an Astronomy Expert
Day 1 - Fly to Reykjavik
- The tour starts in Reykjavik where the guide will arrange an group meal in the evening.
Day 2 - Akureyri and Lake Mývatn
- This morning we will take the short flight of about 40 minutes from Reykjavik's Domestic Airport to the northern town of Akureyri where you will be met by our local guide and board a coach to Lake Myvatn. On the way to the hotel, you will have a guided tour that will introduce you to the North of Iceland, only a few kilometres from the Arctic Circle. On the way you will stop at the beautiful waterfall of Goðafoss, a wonderland for nature enthusiasts and photographers. We proceed to Lake Mývatn and the Sel Hotel, our base for the next three days.
- After lunch at the hotel we will explore more of this fascinating region. The frozen surface of Lake Mývatn is surrounded by lava fields, volcanoes and mountains and during the afternoon we visit the weird volcanic formations in Dimmuborgir (Dark Citadels), pseudocraters and underground caves with geothermal water (Grjótagjá). After lunch at your hotel at Lake Mývatn you will visit Hverarönd mud pools with its steam jets and boiling sulphur pits, Dimmuborgir lava field.
- On the return you will stop off at the Mývatn nature bath for a luxurious swim in a pool of geothermal water drawn from depths of up to 2,500 meters. Containing a unique blend of minerals, silicates and geothermal microorganisms, the waters are beneficial to skin and spirit alike. Arriving back at the hotel your astronomy guide will give the first of a series of talks about the Northern Lights and other astronomical phenomena to prepare you for the first night's viewing. The hotel is in a remote region away from street lights making it ideal for watching the skies for aurora.
Day 3 & 4 - Activities and Aurora
- The region around Lake Myvatn is as fascinating as it is beautiful and today you are free to explore the area or take part in a range of optional activities available. There are a number of walks that can be made from the hotel around the southern shores of the lake on which you can take in the pseudocraters and volcanic cones in the area.
- There are some interesting birds to see in the region including the Barrow’s Goldeneye and Harlequin Duck which are present around the lake and rivers year round. Dinner will be available at the hotel at an additional cost, after which the astronomy expert will host a number of lectures and discussions related to the Aurora discussing both the science and mythology attached to them. He will also be keeping an eye on the sky and if the Northern Lights appear will ensure we all head out to view their beauty.
Day 5 - Homeward Bound
- This morning we take the coach back to Akureyri for your flight to Reykjavík. On arrival in Reykjavik, provided there is sufficient time before the international flight, we will have a short city tour and an opportunity to buy lunch before driving to the international airport for your flight home. For land only passengers your tour will end at the domestic airport in Reykjavik.