Colombia distils the best of Latin America into its borders, and we get the best out of Colombia in 11 days of exploration, from Caribbean colour to rugged Andean landscapes, colonial beauty to rainforest riches. Not many places can match Colombia’s splendid variety – one day you can walk on glaciers, the next snorkel in the bath-warm waters of the tropical coast.The warmth of the Colombians charm all who visit, and you’ll find them rightly proud of Cartagena, where languid days play out among the most exquisite of colonial backdrops – inarguably one of the continent’s finest urban destinations. An enthralling, endlessly surprising country, and the adventurous traveller’s newest must-visit destination.
Why we love it
- Colombia distils the best of Latin America into its borders, and we get the best out of Colombia in 9 days of exploration, from Caribbean colour to rugged Andean landscapes, colonial beauty to rainforest riches.
- Not many places can match Colombia’s variety – walk on glaciers, snorkel in the warm waters of the tropical coast, check out Bogota’s feverish nightlife.
- The warmth of the Colombians charm all who visit.
- Visit Cartagena, where languid days play out among the most exquisite of colonial backdrops – undoubtedly one of the continent’s finest urban destinations.
- An enthralling, endlessly surprising country, and the adventurous traveller’s newest must-visit destination.
Day 1-2 - Bogotá
- Your adventure will begin with an orientation meeting at 2pm, where you will your guide and fellow travel companions. Please check with reception for details regarding the meeting.
- After the meeting, you will embark on a walking tour of Bogota. This surprisingly cosmopolitan city has an abundance of cafes, museums and old churches, making it a delight to explore. You will also spend some time exploring on your own, perhaps ride up the gondola on Cerro de Monserrate to see the 17th century church that looks out over the expansive metropolis below, or visit the Museo Nacional.
- Bogota sits on a plateau 2,640 metres above sea level and has over seven million inhabitants, making it one of the largest cities at altitude in the world.
B3 Hotel or similar
Day 3-4 - Farm Stay (Armenia)
- Today you will take a flight to Armenia. Upon arrival, you will be taken to a farm stay within the coffee region, where you will stay for the next two nights.
- Staying at the farm will offer you an insight into the details of producing some of the best coffee in the world. You will also experience the difficulties and benefits of working and living in such an environment.
- The farm is situated in a particularly remote and beautiful part of the world.
- Day 4: Coffee tour- this tour will take you from the plantation to the coffee shop so you understand what Colombian coffee is about. Our local producer will unveil Colombian coffee secrets right in front of your eyes! The tour finishes in Salento, a gorgeous little town in the middle of the coffee valley where you will have time to stroll around and have lunch (not included) in one of the local restaurants. In the afternoon, we will experience the Cocora Valey tour- explore the magic of the giant Colombian Palms, the country national symbol. Be prepared to hike around the area.
Los Alamos farm or similar
Breakfast | Lunch | Dinner
Day 5-6 - Koralia beach - Tayrona National Park
- You will fly north today to reach Santa Marta today, stopping in Botoga en route. Upon arrival you will travel by minivan to Playa Koralia, tucked onto a stunning and quiet stretch of the Caribbean coastline. You will have two days to suck up the beauty of this veritable paradise, from lazing on the beach to hiking to secret waterfalls and fresh water pools.
- You will also have the option to visit Tayrona National Park while you're here, a place boasting surreal landscapes and one of the highest coastal mountain ranges in the world, the Sierra Nevada de Santa Maria.
- You can hike through jungle trails to reach completely untouched Caribbean beaches, and discover the beauty of this incredibly biologically diverse landscape. Look out for dusky titi monkeys, red squirrels and over 200 species of birds, along with collared peccaries an perhaps an elusive jaguar or two.
- Relaxing on the palm fringed white sandy beach will be a highlight of your time here.
Koralia hotel or similar
Breakfast | Lunch | Dinner
Day 7-8 - Cartagena
- You will leave your tropical oasis and travel to Cartagena by minivan today (approximately 5 hours).
- Cartegena was named a Unesco World Heritage Site in 1980 thanks to its spectacular walls and fortress. The city was a major centre for Spanish settlement in the Americas, and the walls were built to protect its shipping and slave trade from pirates.
- From Cartagena you will take a speed boat to Playa Vista, located at Isla Tierra Bomba. You will spend the day on this gorgeous Caribbean island. There is an optional excursion to visit the aquarium which your tour leader will tell you more about.
- There will also be the chance to do various activities including snorkelling, kayaking and trekking around the area.
- Also while you are in Cartegena you will have the option to visit San Felipe de Barajas Castle or travel out of town to relax in the mud bath at Volcan de Lodo El Totumo.
3 Banderas hotel or similar
Breakfast | Lunch
Day 9 - Cartagena
- Your tour will come to an end today after breakfast.
3 Banderas hotel or similar