From cloud-shrouded volcanic peaks to sun-splashed beaches, lost temples to charming colonial towns, Central America is replete with natural wonders and converging cultures.
This narrow isthmus is home to some of the greatest biodiversity in the world, the happiest people on earth and a mix of cultures than can be traced back thousands of years. Stay in historic haciendas in Mexico, marvel at Maya ruins in Guatemala, spot monkeys amidst misty canopies in Costa Rica and salsa to sultry beats in Cuba. It’s a haven for outdoor adventurers and those that want to immerse themselves in the local culture, and it’s like nowhere else on earth.
Top 10 trips in Central America
Why we love Central America
- From the cloud forests of Costa Rica to Nicaragua’s giant volcanoes, Latin America does nature on a truly grand scale
- When it comes to vibrant colour, energy and food, nowhere delivers quite like Mexico. Bargain with descendants of the Zapotec and Mixtec peoples over hand-woven blankets in Oaxaca’s buzzy markets. You may even feel brave enough to try a crunchy chili and lime grasshopper!
- The Mayans were known for their advanced systems in architecture, mathematics, astronomy and hieroglyphics. From the temple ruins of Chichen Itza to the once-mighty capital of Tikal, our experts will lead you on a guided journey through Central America’s ancient history
- Let the dreamy Caribbean carry you away in the island archipelago of the Belize Cayes. With sleepy towns, sun-drenched beaches and some of the region’s best diving and snorkelling, what’s not to love?
- While Cuba may be a time warp of 1950s American cars and fading colonial splendour, the locals dance to the beat of the moment (and the rhythm of a rumba). From Havana and Trinidad to Vinales in the heart of Cuba’s tobacco-growing region, discover the landscapes and history of an island nation that defies categorisation
Destinations in Central America
What our travellers are saying about the region
Central America stories