For all its Euro influence, Central America is no Western world. With Mayan ruins, Afro beats, and thriving indigenous cultures, this place is as foreign as can be.
The grand cathedrals were built by conquistadors, and the now the locals speak nothing but Spanish – but there’s something far-from-Europe about this place. It may be the tropical air or Caribbean sun that makes this place so different from the old world – like the smooth sand and stunning reefs of Belize. Or it may be the natural purity of the forest, in places like Costa Rica and Panama, where the people are happier than most places on earth. Or could it be the African beats of Cuba or the indigenous markets of Guatemala, forever weaving the exotic through this land.
New trips in Central America
43 Days From $18,700
29 Days From $13,220
29 Days From $12,400
Top 10 trips in Central America
15 Days From $5,128
9 Days From $2,872
13 Days From $4,700
15 Days From $5,741
15 Days From $6,115
15 Days From $4,747
29 Days From $12,780
15 Days From $6,675
8 Days From $3,700
Why we love Central America
- From the cloud forests of Costa Rica to Nicaragua’s giant volcanoes, Latin America does nature on a truly grand scale
- When it comes to vibrant colour, energy and food, nowhere delivers quite like Mexico. Bargain with descendants of the Zapotec and Mixtec peoples over hand-woven blankets in Oaxaca’s buzzy markets. You may even feel brave enough to try a crunchy chili and lime grasshopper!
- The Mayans were known for their advanced systems in architecture, mathematics, astronomy and hieroglyphics. From the temple ruins of Chichen Itza to the once-mighty capital of Tikal, our experts will lead you on a guided journey through Central America’s ancient history
- Let the dreamy Caribbean carry you away in the island archipelago of the Belize Cayes. With sleepy towns, sun-drenched beaches and some of the region’s best diving and snorkelling, what’s not to love?
- While Cuba may be a time warp of 1950s American cars and fading colonial splendour, the locals dance to the beat of the moment (and the rhythm of a rumba). From Havana and Trinidad to Vinales in the heart of Cuba’s tobacco-growing region, discover the landscapes and history of an island nation that defies categorisation
Destinations in Central America
What our travellers are saying about the region
Essential Cuba , December 2017
Cuba is a fascinating country. By travelling with Peregine I gained a detailed insight into the country. Our local guide was very generous with information and made the tour a lot of fun. We had a great variety of experiences which ensured the tour was always interesting, and enjoyable
Review submitted 16 Dec 2017
Essential Cuba , December 2017
Cuba is a fascinating place with many diverse cultures and interesting history. Tourists need to visit with an open mind as services may not be what they have back in their home country. This is particularly true of communications but enjoy the time to be offline!
Review submitted 14 Dec 2017
Amazing Costa Rica, November 2017
Costa Rica is to be commended for keeping its natural places in this age of pillaging natural resources. It has the most beautiful birds and sightings are frequent. Its animal life is quite exotic and plentiful. Certainly for those who enjoy the outdoors, I would highly recommend a visit.
Review submitted 13 Dec 2017
Essential Cuba , September 2017
If you are looking for a boutique travel experience, experiencing other cultures while traveling in comfort (accommodation/ meals) then this is for you! Yes while you maybe part of a small group the tour and leaders consider you individual interests and have optional extras to accommodate your own needs.
Review submitted 11 Dec 2017
Central America stories