About this Policy
Who is the Intrepid Group?
References to ‘Intrepid Group’, ‘we’, ‘our’ and ‘us’ means Intrepid Group Limited, which is made up of the below brands and entities.
This policy applies to the following Intrepid Group brands:
Intrepid Travel Pty Ltd, Peregrine Adventures Pty Ltd and Urban Adventures Global Pty Ltd
The following Intrepid Group entities host their own privacy policies:
The Trustee for The Intrepid Foundation; PEAK DMC Pty Ltd and Chimu Adventure Pty Ltd
What Information do we collect about you?
Making an Enquiry or Booking a Trip
We will collect certain information from you when you make an enquiry or book a trip with us. Depending on your interaction with us and what products and services you use, we may collect the following personal information:
- Your full name, date of birth, gender, title, postal address, phone number, email address, next of kin, dietary requirements, height and weight, travel insurance details, passport details (including nationality and city of birth), passport scan, visa application, visa page scan. We may also ask for medical information which is considered sensitive under data protection laws.
- Any additional information you provide during the booking process to check if a trip is right for you. For example, if you have any pre-existing medical conditions, have a disability, medication that requires refrigeration etc.
We may also keep records of the products and services you have enquired about or purchased from us, as well as collect information relevant to your booking such as flights and accommodation details you have not booked through Intrepid.
If Intrepid is offering visa support or assisting you with applying for a visa in Countries such as Iran, Russia, China, etc. you may be asked to provide additional information, including for example, your occupation, your fathers personal information, marital status, your spouse’s personal information, your children’s personal information, employment and education history and social media tags.
To make a payment via credit card you can use the secure online booking engine or call your booking agent. Your payment card details are not recorded, stored or retained by Intrepid in any way and therefore we ask that you do not email your payment card details. We use a third-party vendor named Worldline to process these payments on our behalf. If Intrepid needs to provide you with a refund, your bank details may be collected, which are recorded and stored.
Photo and Video
When you are travelling with us a photo or video may be taken by the Intrepid group leader or an employee, a professional photographer or another passenger. We ask that any photos or video was taken, by Intrepid Group personnel or otherwise, are done so with permission and respect to the individual. If you do not want to be included in photos or video, please let your group leader or the photographer know.
Marketing and Other Interactions
- When you subscribe to the newsletter, we will collect your full name, country and email address
- Via our preference centre, we will collect your phone number, date of birth, postcode/zip code, residential state and your travel preferences
- If you request a brochure, we will collect your full name and postal address
- If you enter a competition directly with Intrepid, or via one of Intrepid's external partners, or click through on an Intrepid advertisement, we may collect your full name, country, zip code, email address and phone number, as well as your travel preferences.
- When you click on an Intrepid advertisement via a third party, some of this information may pre-populate from an account you may have with that third party
We may contact you to seek your interest in taking part in research projects, surveys and interviews. This may include contacting you with a post-booking or post-trip feedback survey and asking to provide a score and comment on your experience.
As part of this contract, we may collect your full name, email address, booking number and departure code. You will be asked to provide a score and comment on your trip experience. This information will be linked to any comments you make about your trip
Where you have provided the relevant details, we may also contact you in response to your feedback to discuss your comments
The Intrepid Foundation
If you make a donation or subscribe to the Intrepid Foundation newsletter, or link a challenging trip to fundraising, we may collect your full name, email address, country and donation amount.
If you apply for a job with us, we will collect your CV and supporting documents. We will also request you fill in a form and will ask for your personal information such as your full name, contact details, home address, date of birth, sex, ethnicity and accessibility requirements.
Why do we collect your information?
Under data protection laws, for Intrepid to collect, hold, use and share your information we must have a purpose and lawful basis to do so. The legal basis may differ depending on your interaction with us and what information we collect, and will fall under:
Legitimate Interest – Legitimate interest means your information has a purpose and is necessary in order to provide a product or service and does not override your rights and freedoms as an individual. For example; we collect your email address for the purpose of communicating with you. It's necessary to communicate about the product or service you’re requesting or booking, and for Intrepid to provide you with relevant information.
Legal Obligations - in certain circumstances we will need to use your information to comply with our legal obligations, for example, to comply with local laws in the country you are visiting, etc.
Vital Interest – we will collect your travel insurance information under the legal basis of vital interest, as it could be essential to you and your health that we contact your insurance provider in case of an emergency.
Contract – fulfilling a contract you may have entered into with us, such as completing a travel reservation as part of your planned itinerary.
Consent – we will obtain your explicit consent when collecting sensitive information (for example, medical information) and when required by spam laws before sending you marketing materials. You can revoke your consent or object to our marketing at any time; please see ‘WHAT ARE YOUR RIGHTS’ for further information on revoking your consent or objecting to marketing.
Making an Enquiry or Booking a Trip
We use your information to arrange and provide you with the products and services you have requested and booked. This includes booking any flights, transportation, accommodation and activities. The following will provide more insight into these purposes:
- Your personal information will be used by our group leaders to identify you and ensure your safety during the trip.
- Depending on your destination and services being booked for you, we may be required by the supplier to provide certain types of personal information in order to secure the booking. We may also be legally required by local laws and governments to provide travel documentation such as passport details or a passport scan.
- Your contact details will be collected in order to manage our relationship with you, including updates about your booking, providing relevant information and any applicable tickets, handling feedback and complaints, and to contact you in the event of an emergency.
- Providing relevant information, which may include sensitive information, to insurance providers, their agents and medical staff in circumstances where we/they need to act on your behalf or in the interest of passengers or in an emergency.
- Where allowed, your medical information may be shared with any relevant personnel to ensure that we understand any specific needs you may have, before and during your trip. Any pre-existing medical conditions could impact your enjoyment of the trip, and by informing us of any conditions, issues or limitations, we can ensure that Intrepid is better prepared to assist if required.
Other than where it is in your vital interests or required by relevant laws, medical information can only be used by Intrepid with your consent. This is because medical information is considered sensitive and by consenting, you are showing us that you understand and agree to us processing this information. Providing medical information and consenting to its use by Intrepid is optional, however, it is highly recommended that information be provided for your safety and wellbeing.
Photo and Video
Taking a photo or video is something many people love to do, especially as a way to capture special moments. This is likely to be the reason why you may be included in visual media taken on your trip. On occasion, visual media captured by Intrepid group leaders and employees are so good our Studio team may wish to use them in our brochures or on our website for promotional purposes. There may also be a professional photographer scheduled on your trip for the purpose of taking promotional images. In these cases, a consent and waiver form will be provided to you.
Marketing and Other Interactions
Intrepid may use your information for marketing purposes including:
- To identify and tell you about Intrepid products and services we think you may be interested in
- To offer you deals on partner products and services
- To tell you about trip deals, discounts and promotions
- To enrol you for Insiders, our email communication for customers who have travelled with us at least once, which will tell you about discounts, competitions and new trips
We conduct research and analyse your information, including feedback and comments, to help us improve our products and services and to enhance your customer experience, including customising online content, and to improve your booking and website experience. We also look for trends and future destinations and itinerary opportunities.
We may use your de-identified data for internal reporting (i.e. if a partnership was successful), creating new marketing strategies and to identify trends.
We may contact you to seek your interest in taking part in research projects, surveys and interviews. These interactions are designed to help us gain insight and understand certain things such as how to improve the services we provide, help us to understand our customers’ needs and expectations, what media they consume, what their concerns are, why do they travel, etc. Your information and details from our research activities may be stored or kept on file for future reference if relevant and will be de-identified where possible.
The Intrepid Foundation
Intrepid may use your information to promote the activities of the Intrepid Foundation including:
- To introduce you to and keep you updated about the Intrepid Foundation’s activities and projects
- To manage any donations made by you to the Intrepid Foundation
- To send updates on a specific project you have supported
- To seek support for fundraising projects, i.e. if you book a “challenge trip” we may ask if you wish to host a fundraising initiative
Information collected from job applicants will be used to process your application, decide if you are right for the role you are applying for and for us to communicate with you. We will also use your de-identified information to analyse and understand who is applying for our jobs, understand where barriers might exist and to improve our job offerings and recruitment processes in future.
If you are successful in your application, the details you have provided to us will be transferred through to our Human Resources system to begin building your employee profile.
How do we collect your information?
Your information may come to us in a variety of different ways. You may provide information directly to us when communicating via email, phone, letter, web chat or in person. You may also provide us with your information by filling in an online or printed form, leaving feedback, completing a survey, donating to the Intrepid Foundation, subscribing to a newsletter or a loyalty program.
Your information may also be provided to us by an external partner or third party; for example, a travel agent, insurance provider or a friend/family member who is booking on your behalf.
Sharing your information
Making an Enquiry or Booking a Trip
In order to handle your enquiry, fulfil your product or service request or manage your booking, we may share your personal information with the following:
- Inside the Intrepid Group (including group leaders)
- Related overseas entities (i.e. Destination Management Companies)
- Partners (i.e. Travel agencies, etc.)
- Travel providers (i.e. Airlines, tour companies, etc.)
- Urban Adventures Network Partners
- Third party operators (i.e. local operators, couriers, mailing houses, payment processors, etc.)
- Suppliers and Service providers (i.e. hotels, transfer drivers, etc.)
- Government authorities (i.e. border crossings, etc.)
If you book flights through Intrepid, or your trip includes a flight, the relevant personal information will be provided to the applicable airline. Similarly, if your trip is operated by a non-Intrepid affiliated tour company, your personal information will be provided to that company for them to confirm you on the trip and provide the relevant services. We also share your personal information with any travel providers or third-party local operators for the purpose of improving services and experiences, and to investigate where necessary.
Please be assured only the relevant people will be provided with access to this information.
Any information shared with travel providers is done so via secure methods and the travel provider is responsible for any information they hold in their system.
We share your personal information with third parties that help us operate, provide, improve, integrate, customize, support and market our products and services. This includes the following:
- Service Providers: We work with third-party service providers to provide website and application development, hosting, maintenance, backup, storage, virtual infrastructure, support and troubleshooting for quality assurance purposes, payment processing, analysis and other services for us, which may require them to access or use information about you.
- Marketers: We work with a global network of partners who help us market and promote our products (for example, by providing consulting and sales services), who send marketing material for us, generate leads and resell our services.
- Research: We use third parties to assist us with research and analytics, including surveys, interviews and other data gathering. We may share your information with these partners in connection with their services.
With your consent
We share information about you with third parties when you give us consent to do so. For example, we often display personal reviews of satisfied customers on our public websites. With your consent, we may post your name alongside the review.
Your information may be shared within the Intrepid Group and our related entities as part of our global operations and to identify and market other products or services you may be interested in. This includes sharing your post-trip experience feedback, which is linked to your name and booking details, with our internal teams and entities.
We may share your personal information with The Intrepid Foundation for the purpose of promoting charitable causes.
Please refer to www.intrepidgroup.travel for further details about our various brands and companies that comprise the Intrepid Group.
References to ‘related overseas entities’ refer to our related overseas bodies corporate as listed at www.peakdmc.com.
We may share or transfer information in connection with any merger, sale of company assets, financing, or acquisition of all or a portion of our business to another company. You will be notified via email and/or a prominent notice on the services if a transaction takes place, as well as any choices you may have regarding your information.
We may share your information with an enforcement body (i.e. police) where disclosure is authorised or required by law, or with insurance providers or medical personnel. This may be for identification of fraud or error, for regulatory reporting and compliance, or if we believe the disclosure is necessary to lessen or prevent a threat to life, health or safety.
We will not sell your personal information.
Transferring your information
As discussed above, it is necessary for us to share your information with our entities, partners and third parties, many of which are located overseas. When we transfer your information overseas, we require that appropriate privacy, confidentiality and security measures are in place, and that we comply with those data protection and privacy laws which apply to us.
Also as discussed above, we use service providers. We operate with different service providers in over 120 Countries, across all regions of the world, so it is not possible for us to provide a list of all these Countries in this Policy. Our key service providers are located in Australia and the United States. If you have any specific questions about where or to whom your personal information will be sent, please see the Contact Us section below.
In some jurisdictions, including the EEA, the UK and Australia, data protection laws restrict transferring personal information outside the jurisdiction. In all cases, we ensure that appropriate safeguards for the purposes of those data protection laws which restrict the trans-border flow of personal information, have been established and are maintained, whether in the form of standard contractual clauses, appropriate inter-company agreements, adequacy measures or through ensuring certification with the US-EU Privacy Shield.
What are your rights
We want you to feel reassured that you have control of the information you provide to us. Depending on relevant data protection laws, there are certain rights you have over your personal information including:
- You can ask us to update any inaccurate, incomplete or out-of-date information we hold about you
- You can ask us to provide you with a copy of the information we hold on you, or that we transfer that information to another service provider
- You may request that we stop processing or using your information
- You may request that we delete any / all information we hold about you
- You may withdraw consent that you have provided to us
Where possible we will comply with your request, however, there may be instances where we cannot fulfil your request, or there will be consequences if we were to fulfil your request. We will always communicate with you about any consequences before going forward, or give you written reasons for any refusal.
If you are subscribed to any promotional marketing newsletters, you have the choice to unsubscribe from these communications by scrolling to the bottom of the e-mail and clicking the ‘unsubscribe’ link.
Under the GDPR, if you live in the European Economic Area (EEA), you are also entitled to, at any time:
- Withdraw consent to our use of your information for marketing purposes
- Object to the processing of your personal data, especially where we collect your personal data for claimed legitimate interest
- Request your personal information be transferred to yourself or a third party without hindrance in a commonly used format.
You may also wish to make a complaint about the way we have handled your personal information or other interference with your privacy rights.
You can exercise any of these rights at any time by contacting us (see the Contact Us section) or your relevant privacy or data protection authority.
Intrepid Data Protection Officer
If you would like to exercise your rights, as listed above, you can also do this by contacting the privacy team via the below form.
One of our Privacy Officers will contact you within a reasonable time frame after receiving your enquiry or request to verify who you are in order to locate any accounts or bookings you may have with us or ask any follow up questions to better understand your enquiry.
We will inform you whether we will conduct an investigation and the estimated completion date for the investigation process. After we have completed our enquiries, we will contact you, usually in writing, to advise the outcome and invite a response to our conclusions about the complaint. If we receive a response from you, we will assess it and advise if we have changed our view. If you are unsatisfied by our final response, you may escalate your complaint to the relevant regulatory body.
Complaint to the Data Protection Authority
If you have any concerns or complaints about how we are collecting or processing your personal information, you can complain to your local data protection authority.
If you are in the EU, please follow this link to locate the data protection authority most relevant to you: https://edpb.europa.eu/about-edpb/board/members_en
We will only retain your personal information for as long as necessary to fulfil the purposes we collected it for, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, accounting, or reporting requirements.
To determine the appropriate retention period for personal information, we consider the amount, nature, and sensitivity of the personal information, the potential risk of harm from unauthorised use or disclosure of your personal information, the purposes for which we process your personal information and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means, and the applicable legal requirements.
How we keep your information secure
The Intrepid Group is dedicated to keeping your personal information secure. We have implemented various physical, electronic and managerial security procedures in order to protect your information from loss and misuse, and from unauthorized access, modification, disclosure and interference.
We have put in place procedures to deal with any suspected personal information breach and will notify you and any applicable regulator of a breach where we are legally required to do so.
Links to Third Party Sites
Cookies & Website Usage
What Are Cookies?
Cookies are unique to the web browser you're using - so if you're using a desktop computer as well as a mobile, different data will be collected for each. You can find more information on the About Cookies website www.aboutcookies.org/
Cookies can be set by the owner of the website you're on. These are known as 1st Party Cookies. There are also 3rd Party Cookies that can be set by partner websites. Only the owner of the cookie can see the anonymous information it collects.
You can choose to accept all cookies, reject 3rd Party Cookies or reject all cookies either by changing your internet browser settings or when provided with the option to do so by us. If you don't accept cookies, some features of our website won't work. For example, you won't be able to make a booking.
What Information Do We Collect?
We may collect information about your visits to, browsing of, and use of our website, unless your web browser blocks this. The range of data we collect will depend on how you interact with our website.
This information may include:
- Your IP address (a unique identifier allocated to your computer for your connection to the internet)
- Your computer device details (PC, tablet, smartphone, watch, make and model, etc.)
- The make and version of web browser (e.g. Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, Opera, Chrome) you are using
- Your operating system (e.g. Windows, Windows Phone, OSX, iOS, Android, Linux etc.)
- Your time-zone
- Your browser plug-ins
- Any webpage you came from, identified as the referrer web page address by your web browser
- Page response times
- Download error
- Pages and parts of pages you visit
- The usage you make of our website, including enquiries and searches undertaken, and registrations for accounts, forums etc.
- Services and products you viewed
- Length of visit to website and pages
- Page interaction information (such as scrolling, keys pressed, mouse clicks, touches, and mouse-overs)
The only time your information will be identifiable will be if you experience an error and we contact you to resolve the issue.
This information may also include:
- Data inputted into forms and fields
- Registrations for any accounts
- Feedback mechanism
- Social functionality
- Newsletters or other features of our site
- Usernames and passwords
- Log-in / out history, and settings
- Actions are taken within any account or other registration, including view, update and changes to settings
- Posts to any forum, feedback, review or other social functionality on our website.
Buying our products online
Your recent searches and shortlisted holidays are recorded using cookies. If you've made a shortlist but you haven't saved it by entering your email address, we'll store your shortlisted holidays using a cookie, so you'll be able to see it when you visit us again using the same computer or device.
Improving your experience
We can find out how you move around our website, so we can investigate any errors stopping you from being able to do what you want. The data we collect from cookies is important for us to improve your experience.
Tailoring and making our marketing relevant
Cookies allow us to provide you with information, products and services that we think you'll find interesting. We can personalize and show you relevant offers and promotions on our own websites and through our advertising networks by matching you with any existing profiles.
Advertisements on other websites
Types of cookies we use
You may choose to opt-out of Google Analytics using the Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on which you may access at https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout/.
You can change your browser settings to accept or refuse all cookies, choose which cookies you want or don't want, or ask to be notified when a cookie is set. Use the help feature in your browser to see how.
Changing your mind after you've accepted our cookies