West of Malaysia in the Andaman Sea lies pure island paradise.
Touch down in Penang and discover the rich cultural history of the Malay, the roots of which meld with China, Europe and India. One can taste it in the nasi kandar from the markets, hear it in the music of the temples and mosques, and see it in the architecturally diverse townscape of George Town. Explore further out from the city to find stunning rainforests teeming with native plants and animals, and beautiful beaches that seem naturally intended for leisure and relaxation. There’s no better way to experience Malaysia than to sail through the waters of the Andaman Sea from one island paradise to the next.
Land and Sea Cruises
One could spend a lifetime cruising the coastlines of Europe and Asia, but there’s plenty more to experience on terra firma. Peregrine’s new Land and Sea Cruises deliver the best of both worlds: small-ship coastal cruising and classic Peregrine adventures on land.
Browse our range of Land and Sea Cruises
Highlights of Malaysia
Taste the flavours of Penang, the street food capital
Take a rickshaw ride through the narrow streets of Penang’s old town, passing Chinese shopfronts, ancient Buddhist temples and historic buildings like Khoo Kongsi and Blue Mansion to find the famous hawker stalls. These local open-air markets offer some of the most delectable food in the region.
Witness the natural beauty of Langkawi
Langkawi, the ‘Jewel of Kedah’, is an archipelago of 99 islands in the Andaman Sea. Popular with travellers, the islands have managed to retain their spectacular natural beauty, best seen in places such as the Seven Wells waterfalls of Telaga Tujuh, the beaches and limestone caves of Tanjung Rhu, or the lookout point atop Gunung Machinchang mountain.
Trek through Penang National Park
It may be Malaysia’s smallest national park, but with 2300 hectares of rainforest and coastline to explore, it more than holds its own. Look out for turtles in the water, monitor lizards in the scrub, monkeys in the trees and kingfishers in the air. The park's nine beaches are thought to be some of the best around Penang.
Excursions and experiences
Each of our tailored itineraries is sprinkled with what we call 'Peregrine Moments', those special experiences you'll only have while travelling in a small group with one of our local leaders. Here are just a few of the experiences you'll share in Malaysia.
- Enjoy a fresh Malaysian lunch at the local markets of Penang. Anything from popiah spring rolls to asam laksa could be on the menu; your leader knows where to find the best bites.
- Embark on a walking tour around Penang's old town to appreciate the historic shophouses, narrow streets and unique atmosphere of the island, then jump in a rickshaw for a ride back to the boat.
- Join a local guide for a tour of Langkawi’s main island, including a visit to the picturesque Telaga Tujuh Waterfalls – an ideal spot to take in the relaxed vibes of this island jungle.
- Ride the cable car to Langkawi’s highest point for an incredible view of the entire archipelago.
- Use the Andaman Sea as your own swimming pool, with snorkelling, kayaking, fishing and stand-up paddleboarding available for use straight off the boat.
The Peregrine difference
This state-of-the-art Motor Sailer accommodates 49 guests in 25 cabins, each fitted with modern conveniences, including air conditioning, TV, mini-fridge, central music and a safe box. With two restaurants on board, you can choose to dine indoors or al fresco. The swimming platform at the rear back makes it easy to drop anchor and swim straight off the boat.
- Use of kayaks, snorkels, stand-up paddleboards and fishing equipment.
- Turndown service twice a day.
- Fully equipped laundry service.
- Swimming platform (weather permitting).
- Towels for swimming.
- Fully stocked bar with professional bartender (charges apply).
- Use of kayaks and snorkelling equipment.
- Mini library.
- Board games.
- Central music.
- CD and DVD player.
- Audiovisual equipment in lounge.
Read more about Malaysia
Mar 18, 2019
25 photos that will make you want to...
If any place was made for exploration by ship, it’s the coasts and islands of...
Mar 13, 2019
5 essential islands to visit in...
There are hundreds of islands dotted around the Thai coast, and so many pieces of...
Dec 03, 2018
South East Asia: the cruising...
Filippos Venetopoulos, head of Marine product at Peregrine, shares some insights...
Aug 18, 2017
7 amazing things to do in Borneo
Coming face-to-face with orangutans in Sabah, exploring the limestone caves of...