For all its Euro influence, Central America is no Western world. With Mayan ruins, Afro beats, and thriving indigenous cultures, this place is as foreign as can be.
The grand cathedrals were built by conquistadors, and the now the locals speak nothing but Spanish – but there’s something far-from-Europe about this place. It may be the tropical air or Caribbean sun that makes this place so different from the old world – like the smooth sand and stunning reefs of Belize. Or it may be the natural purity of the forest, in places like Costa Rica and Panama, where the people are happier than most places on earth. Or could it be the African beats of Cuba or the indigenous markets of Guatemala, forever weaving the exotic through this land.
New trips in Central America
43 Days From $15,285
29 Days From $10,805
29 Days From $10,135
Top 10 trips in Central America
15 Days From $4,004
15 Days From $4,101
15 Days From $4,600
29 Days From $9,150
8 Days From $3,040
Why we love Central America
- From the cloud forests of Costa Rica to Nicaragua’s giant volcanoes, Latin America does nature on a truly grand scale
- When it comes to vibrant colour, energy and food, nowhere delivers quite like Mexico. Bargain with descendants of the Zapotec and Mixtec peoples over hand-woven blankets in Oaxaca’s buzzy markets. You may even feel brave enough to try a crunchy chili and lime grasshopper!
- The Mayans were known for their advanced systems in architecture, mathematics, astronomy and hieroglyphics. From the temple ruins of Chichen Itza to the once-mighty capital of Tikal, our experts will lead you on a guided journey through Central America’s ancient history
- Let the dreamy Caribbean carry you away in the island archipelago of the Belize Cayes. With sleepy towns, sun-drenched beaches and some of the region’s best diving and snorkelling, what’s not to love?
- While Cuba may be a time warp of 1950s American cars and fading colonial splendour, the locals dance to the beat of the moment (and the rhythm of a rumba). From Havana and Trinidad to Vinales in the heart of Cuba’s tobacco-growing region, discover the landscapes and history of an island nation that defies categorisation
Destinations in Central America
What our travellers are saying about the region
Cuba Highlights, August 2017
Loved that there were only three of us on trip so we got really personalised service from our friendly, considerate obliging tour leader Yanna Cruzata.
Review submitted 05 Sep 2017
Cuba Highlights, May 2017
Cuba is a country that suffers greatly from trade bans imposed by the USA. This tour will be different to others you will have experienced, but enjoy the country and what it has to offer. I believe it will be some years before there is much change.
Review submitted 29 Aug 2017
Cuba Highlights, August 2017
to make sure they have a couple of Credit Cards. Australian Dollar is not accepted.
Review submitted 27 Aug 2017
Essential Cuba , July 2017
The Essential Cuba trip far exceeded my expectations and was a great introduction to life in Cuba. The guesthouse accommodation with the locals was a real highlight. Given the number of inclusions it is great value for money. My only wish is that the trip was longer!
Review submitted 21 Aug 2017
Central America stories