For all its Euro influence, Central America is no Western world. With Mayan ruins, Afro beats, and thriving indigenous cultures, this place is as foreign as can be.
The grand cathedrals were built by conquistadors, and the now the locals speak nothing but Spanish – but there’s something far-from-Europe about this place. It may be the tropical air or Caribbean sun that makes this place so different from the old world – like the smooth sand and stunning reefs of Belize. Or it may be the natural purity of the forest, in places like Costa Rica and Panama, where the people are happier than most places on earth. Or could it be the African beats of Cuba or the indigenous markets of Guatemala, forever weaving the exotic through this land.
New trips in Central America
43 Days From R188,905
29 Days From R125,162
29 Days From R126,120
Top 10 trips in Central America
9 Days From R25,372
13 Days From R50,580
15 Days From R51,864
15 Days From R55,660
8 Days From R36,890
Why we love Central America
- From the cloud forests of Costa Rica to Nicaragua’s giant volcanoes, Latin America does nature on a truly grand scale
- When it comes to vibrant colour, energy and food, nowhere delivers quite like Mexico. Bargain with descendants of the Zapotec and Mixtec peoples over hand-woven blankets in Oaxaca’s buzzy markets. You may even feel brave enough to try a crunchy chili and lime grasshopper!
- The Mayans were known for their advanced systems in architecture, mathematics, astronomy and hieroglyphics. From the temple ruins of Chichen Itza to the once-mighty capital of Tikal, our experts will lead you on a guided journey through Central America’s ancient history
- Let the dreamy Caribbean carry you away in the island archipelago of the Belize Cayes. With sleepy towns, sun-drenched beaches and some of the region’s best diving and snorkelling, what’s not to love?
- While Cuba may be a time warp of 1950s American cars and fading colonial splendour, the locals dance to the beat of the moment (and the rhythm of a rumba). From Havana and Trinidad to Vinales in the heart of Cuba’s tobacco-growing region, discover the landscapes and history of an island nation that defies categorisation
Destinations in Central America
What our travellers are saying about the region
Essential Cuba , July 2018
The Peregrine Cuba tour is a great introduction to Cuba and highly recommended.
Review submitted 17 Jul 2018
Mexico In Depth, April 2018
Peregrine Adventures take you around the world not only showing the touristy places but also how the other parts of the world live. Thank you
Review submitted 13 Jul 2018
Essential Cuba , June 2018
Peregrine have provided us with an excellent tour of Cuba. Our tour guide was fantastic and the driver of our coach was an excellent driver. We were very well looke after.
Review submitted 11 Jul 2018
Essential Cuba , June 2018
Don't have high expectations on the accomodation at the Casa's or the Nationale Hotel despite some reviews. The food far exceeded our expectations once outside the tour and the Hotel. Complimentary meals provided by Tour were very basic and poor. Some small restaurants recommended by guide really paid off. Look around or ask as there is some top service and food to be had considering the state of the country. Transportation was excellent. Only thing that didnt happen was the tour of the Cigar factory, which was disappointing, as it was down for a Sunday afternoon on the itineray, but it is not open on a Sunday???
Review submitted 09 Jul 2018
Cuba Highlights, April 2018
A wonderful introduction to these two countries. Great destinations revealing complex history and culture. Long distances travelled but worth it.
Review submitted 08 Jul 2018
Central America stories