Visit Beijing, Xi'an, Chengdu, Yangzi River, Yangshuo and Shanghai on this comprehensive China adventure
This trip weaves together China’s most famous icons. Walk an original section of the great wall and revel in the big show of Beijing. A city within a city of incredible scale and detail awaits, as well as serenely set palaces of sublime beauty and construction, and the full panoply of China’s people. A short high speed train ride away, in Xian, the famous Terracotta Warriors fascinate for their evocative detail, while a walk of the wider city finds us deep in the rarely seen exotica of the Muslim Quarter. The narrow streets, colourful markets and quiet mosques are surviving remnants of Silk Road caravan days. In Chengdu, observe the unique giant pandas in their struggle for survival. Relax on a Yangzi River cruise through the beautiful mountains above the Three Gorges dam, passing by picturesque rural villages still reliant on China’s most vibrant waterway. Travel to Yangshuo where the karst hills stand in the mist of Li River, serene and beatiful landscape immortalised by so many painters in generations. Shanghai’s bright lights, fevered trade and frenetic pace provide a glimpse into modern China and the dazzling global future and a palm sweating acrobatic show await for us here.
TRIP UPDATES FOR 2019:
From 1st January 2019 this trip will be 17 days in length and begin in Beijing, finishing in Shanghai. It will also include Yangshuo.
- Beijing, China
- Shanghai, China
- Physical rating
- Trip rating
- 61 reviews
- Min 15
- Group size
- Min 1, Max 12
Why you'll love this trip
The quintessential image of China is the imposing Great Wall – walk through history on an original section
Like everything it does, China’s ancient history is on an epic scale – get a sense of it when you come face-to-face with arrays of Terracotta Warriors. Also enjoy a deliciously home cooked meal while listening to the stories of our host who has lived through witnessed the changes brought about by this epic excavation.
Learn about the endangered (and adorable) giant pandas’ struggle for survival, and get up close to these unique creatures in Chengdu.
Step back in time with a boat trip through the painterly scenery of the Yangzi River, which meanders through the dramatic Three Gorges.
Try your hand at both traditional cooking and tai chi in Yangshuo, where the karsts dots beautiful the banks of the Li River.
Discover Shanghai's bright lights, fevered trade and frenetic pace, which provides a glimpse into modern China.
Is this trip right for you?
Meals16 breakfasts, 4 lunches, 2 dinners
TransportPrivate vehicle, Cruise boat, Overnight soft sleeper train, High speed train, Plane, Subway
AccommodationHotel (12 nights), Cruise boat (3 nights), Soft Sleeper Train (1 night)
- Beijing - Temple of Heaven Park
- Beijing - Forbidden City
- Beijing - Mutianyu Great Wall
- Beijing - Summer Palace
- Xi'an - Muslim Quarter walking tour
- Xi'an - Terracotta Warriors
- Xi'an - Hanyangling Mausoleum
- Xi'an - Home-cooked lunch
- Chengdu - Tea Tasting
- Chengdu - People's Park & Tianfu Square
- Chengdu - Giant Panda Breeding Research Base
- Yichang - Three Gorges Dam Project
- Yangshuo - Cooking School & Market Tour
- Yangshuo - Tai Chi/Kung Fu class
- Shanghai - Acrobat Show
- Shanghai - Walking tour
Dates & availability
Trip search is unavailable.
There are currently no scheduled departures on our Yangzi & Beyond trip. If you are interested in other trips in the region visit one of the links below.
Jump to a departure month
1. A complimentary arrival transfer is included. Please advise your agent your arrival details no later than 14 days prior to departure.
2. Gratuities are included for the essential services only that you will receive as part of your tour package, but not for tour leader. Please see our Tipping section of these trip notes for more information.
3. A Single Supplement to have your own room is available to book on this trip for all nights excluding overnight trains, subject to availability.
4. The boat trip through the Three Gorges offers some incredible sightseeing and is a genuine way to experience the Yangzi River. Many travellers consider it a highlight of their adventure. Please note that all rooms on the cruise are on a twin share basis if you didn't book single supplement. If you are not already sharing a room with someone from your group, you may be required to share with someone (of the same gender) from outside your tour group.
5. Overnight train accommodation on this tour is in 4-berth ‘soft-sleeper’ class, which are four beds in a compartment. Bedding is provided and wash basins and toilet facilities are at the end of each carriage, but no shower facilities.
Essential trip information
Want an in-depth insight into this trip? Essential Trip Information provides a detailed itinerary, visa info, how to get to your hotel, what's included - pretty much everything you need to know about this adventure and more.View Essential Trip Information